Smoky Lentil Stew
A deliciously warm and comforting stew made with red lentils, lots of veggies and smoked paprika. Adapted from the recipe by Sonja & Alex Overhiser.
- 3 Tb. Olive oil
- 2 large Carrots, diced small
- 1 medium Yellow onion, diced small
- 2 stalks Celery, diced small
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, peeled & minced
- 1/2 small Jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 1 Tb. Balsamic or apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tb. Smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. Ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 1/4 c. Red lentils, rinsed & drained
- 4 c. Vegetable broth/stock
- 1/2 tsp. Sea or Kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. Kale, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Lemon zest
- 1 Tb. Fresh lemon juice
- Fresh herbs, chopped (parsley, dill, cilantro work well)
Heat oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, celery; stir and cook until onion is translucent (just a few minutes).
Add garlic and jalapeño, then add vinegar, paprika, cumin, cayenne and lentils and stir well.
Add vegetable broth/stock and salt/pepper. Bring to a slow simmer, then cover partially and let it simmer ~5 minutes. Add kale and cook another 5 minutes. Test the lentils - they should be tender but not mushy. When done, remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Serve with fresh herbs and more lemon zest/juice, as desired.