This warm, spicy and soul-soothing drink will help you calm your mind while helping to reduce inflammation!
- 1 c. Coconut milk, full fat (I prefer canned, but carton-type is fine)
- 1 c. Unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp. Ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Coconut oil
- 1 tsp. Maple syrup, honey or other preferred sweetener
- 1 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Star anise pods
- 2-3 Whole cloves (optional)
- Pinch black pepper
Add all ingredients to a small saucepan, over medium heat.
Whisk until combined then allow the mixture to come to a low simmer (this will take 4-5 mins). Do not boil! Remove from heat and allow to sit for a minute or two to cool a bit, while allowing the spices to emit more flavor. Taste for seasoning (i.e, add more sweetener, if needed).
Remove pods (and cloves, if using), then pour into mugs and enjoy!
- I like a mix of coconut milk (full fat, for more flavor and creaminess) AND almond milk, but you can use 100% coconut, almond or other milk, as desired. Experiment with combinations, to your liking.
- Adding coconut oil and a pinch of black pepper is believed to help your body get the maximum benefits/absorption of helpful components in turmeric.
- Depending on the brand of milk you're using, the combination or brand of milk, or the type of cinnamon, the color of your Golden Milk may not be pure 'gold' -looking, but don't worry, it will still be delicious!