Lentil & Kale Salad
A delicious chopped salad with kale, Napa, cucumber, mint, parsley, apricots, and a Moroccan-inspired dressing. Recipe adapted from Sylvia Fountaine's Moroccan Lentil Salad.
- 2 c. Cooked, whole lentils (brown, black or green)
- 2 c. Kale, chopped
- 2 c. Napa, chopped
- 1 medium Cucumber, peeled & chopped (remove large seeds, if desired)
- 1/2 c. Celery, chopped
- 1/4 c. Red onion (or shallot), chopped
- 1 c. Dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. Sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1+ c. Fresh parsley and mint, roughly chopped
- 1/4 c. Red wine vinegar
- 2 Tb. Maple syrup
- 1/4 c. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Orange, zested and juiced
- 1 Garlic clove, peeled & minced
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher (or sea) salt
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- Pinch Ground cloves
- Pinch Red pepper flakes
Cook lentils, following directions on package. When tender, drain excess water and allow them to cool before mixing with other ingredients.
While lentils cook, toast the almonds in a nonstick pan over low heat until nicely brown. Then make the dressing by combining ingredients in a small bowl and whisking to combine; set aside until ready to use.
Prepare kale by chopping it into small pieces, tossing it into a mixing bowl and adding 1 tsp of olive oil or lemon juice. "Massage" the kale with your hands for 1-2 minutes, mixing in the liquid and allowing tough fibers in the kale to soften. Then add Napa, cucumber, celery, onion, apricots, almonds and herbs.
When lentils are cool, add them to the mixing bowl, along with dressing. Toss to combine, taste for seasoning (salt), then serve.