Creamy Carrot Soup
A delicious blend of fresh carrots, coconut milk and other good stuff to make a creamy, warming soup.
- 2 Tb. Unsalted butter
- 1 small Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 medium Garlic cloves, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt (divided)
- 1 Lb. Fresh carrots
- 1/2 c. Coconut milk (full fat)
- 3 c. Water
- 1 tsp. Distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 c. Pecans, toasted and roughly chopped, as garnish (optional)
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, as garnish (optional)
Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add butter, onion, garlic and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook over medium/low heat, about 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
If carrots are very fresh, scrub them lightly and trim the ends. If carrots are packaged, trim ends and peel them to remove some of the rougher skin. Slice and add them to the pan, along with coconut milk and water. Bring to a soft boil then cover and cook about 20 minutes, until carrots are very tender.
Remove pot from heat. Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup until smooth. Add the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. vinegar. Taste for seasoning. Top with fresh herbs or pecans (optional) and serve immediately.