Summer is in full swing — a great time to make a dish that’s not only tasty, but also, easy to transport to beach, pool, or picnic. So when the folks at Edible Sarasota asked me to create a crab recipe for their Summer issue, I decided on a salad, but one that’s a little different from the norm.
Summer Crab Salad
- 1 Tb whole-grain mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled, minced & mashed
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
- 3 Tb. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lump crab meat, picked through for shells
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 1/4 cup English cucumber, small dice
- 1/4 cup fresh corn kernels or yellow bell pepper, small dice
- 1-2 Tb. red onion, minced
- 1 Tb. fresh basil, minced
- 1 Tb. fresh parsley, minced
- 1 Tb. fresh mint, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add crab, bell pepper, cucumber, corn, onion, herbs and jalapeno (if using). Add dressing, stir gently to combine, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with crusty bread or crostini, with mixed greens as a salad, in a sandwich, or all by itself.