Tilefish, or any other tender, white flaky fish, works wonderfully with a brown butter basting method.
Author: My Delicious Blog
Recipe type: Seafood
- 2 medium Tilefish (or other flaky, white fish) fillets, skinned, deboned & patted dry
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2+ Tb. unsalted butter
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 whole clove garlic, peeled
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 Tb. chopped scallions or chives
- Lightly sprinkle each fillet with salt & pepper.
- Heat butter, red pepper flakes and garlic in a non-stick skillet over low/medium heat.
- After a couple of minutes, once the garlic starts to turn brown, remove it from pan.
- Increase heat to medium. Add fillets and cook 1-2 minutes to brown the first side, then flip each fillet and spoon the butter over each piece.
- Cover pan lightly for about 1 minute.
- Remove cover then spoon butter over each fillet. Keep spooning 1-2 minutes (depending on thickness of your fillets) until they achieve a roasted look. Note: you may have to tip the pan to fill your spoon with butter each time.
- Turn off heat and remove from pan.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest, lemon juice and scallions/chives before serving.