Beet & Basil Salad
Fresh beets are awesome by themselves, but even better in this tasty dressing.
Author: My Delicious Blog
Recipe type: Vegetable
Spicy Citrus Dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 1 small clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 2 tsp. brown sugar (or honey)
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Few grinds of black pepper
- ⅓ c. olive oil (or other mild oil)
- ~1 lb. fresh beets
- 2 Tb. olive oil
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Handful fresh basil, chiffonade (thinly sliced)
- 3-4 green onions, thinly sliced (or red onion, chopped)
- ¼ c. toasted nuts (walnuts, pistachios, almonds) - optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash beets; remove stems and roots; cut into quarters or halves (depending on how large they are) then place in a baking dish in one layer. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine; cover with foil and place in oven for about 40-50 minutes (until fork done).
- Allow to cool; peel and dice each piece then place into a large mixing bowl. Refrigerate 20-30 minutes to cool them down.
- Once cool, add dressing to the beets, a little at a time until you achieve desired amount (use any extra for another salad, another day).
- When combined, add green onions, basil and nuts (if using) and toss lightly (this minimizes the bright greens from getting coated in too much beet color).