Cantaloupe is such a versatile fruit — it can be served with sweet or savory components, and it’s always delicious. When in season, it’s sweet, fragrant and oh-so-delicious. I especially love the smell of it — it always reminds me of those melon flavored Lifesavers — you know, the ones in the tropical blend package? Whenever I find them, I have a terrible habit of continually unwrapping the tube until I find my favorite flavor. What’s left usually ends up as a messy, sticky situation in my purse, but I still think it’s worth it 🙂
You can find cantaloupe pretty much year-round across the country, but here in Florida, it’s in season from March through July, so that’s when it’s best. I like to keep some in the fridge during our hot summers because it’s not only tasty, it’s also a great re-hydrator, full of potassium and vitamins C and A.
Pairing cantaloupe with a tart fruit like lime or lemon makes it even better because the flavors contrast beautifully with the sweet, fragrant melon. And this is exactly why I decided to make a batch of fresh melon today with a citrusy dressing doused in chopped mint. I love the color combo of orange and green – it always looks so refreshing!
This is a very easy and tasty way to enjoy cantaloupe. You could even mix in seasonal watermelon, honeydew or berries, which would also be delicious with this ’sauce’.
For this recipe, I put my melon baller to work, but you can just as easily chop the fruit into small pieces and achieve the same results 🙂
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ c. fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 1 Tb. honey (I used orange blossom)
- 2 Tb. fresh mint, chopped (+ some leaves for garnish)
- ½ large cantaloupe, chopped or balls
- Combine the citrus and honey in a small bowl; stir well to dissolve the honey. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before ready to serve.
- Prep the fruit and place into a bowl and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving,
- When ready to serve, add the mint into the citrus/honey mixture, and pour it over the melon; stir to combine.
- Serve in pretty dishes, garnished with fresh mint (optional).