Honolulu Date Squares - A Family Favorite
Dates and oats combine to make a magical dessert.
Author: My Delicious Blog
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 c. dates, finely chopped (a food processor works best)
- ⅓ c. brown sugar
- 1 Tb. flour
- 1 c. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 c. old-fashioned rolled oats (or Wheaties cereal)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- ¾ c. unsalted butter, melted
- Heat oven to 365 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, combine dates, brown sugar, flour and water; stir to combine. Simmer over medium/high heat until thick and bubbly (about 1-2 minutes), then remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Melt butter and pour into dry ingredient bowl. Combine until it’s crumbly (I like to use my fingers so I can feel it's totally combined).
- In an 8X8 baking dish, spread half the crumb mixture into the bottom of the dish and pat with your fingers to get to the edges.
- Spread the date filling all over the bottom layer and spread to edges.
- Sprinkle remaining half of crumb mixture over the top.
- Place in oven and cook 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting into squares.
Recipe makes about 12 squares, depending on how large you cut them.