I think everyone has a dish that evokes happiness the moment they see it. One of mine is cheesecake, and as soon as I spot a big beauty, my heart flutters. What is it about that creamy goodness that makes me want to stop everything and grab a spoon? I guess it’s comforting – something to wipe away sadness or stress, with one bite holding the power to transform.
New York Style Cheesecake
- 4 8 oz. Cream cheese (full fat, Philadelphia Brand, ideally)
- 1 1/2 c. Granulated sugar
- 4 Eggs, extra large
- 1 Tb. Pure vanilla extract
- 4 Tb. All-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. Whole milk
- 1 pint Sour cream (full fat)
- 1 tsp. Lemon zest (optional)
- Remove cream cheese, eggs, milk and sour cream from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before preparing this cake (it takes at least 1 hour).
- When all ingredients are soft/at room temperature, preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly butter a 10" springform pan.
- Using a standup mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add softened cream cheese to the bowl and mix a few times. Add sugar; mix until combined. Scrape sides with rubber spatula and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, allowing batter to incorporate each before adding another. Scrape sides and continue mixing on low speed.
- Add vanilla and flour; mix to incorporate, scrape down sides.
- Add milk and sour cream (and lemon zest, if using) and mix until everything is smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared springform pan and place in oven 1 hour.
- At 1 hour, turn off heat, open oven door and allow cheesecake to sit in the oven 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, cool about 20 minutes, then remove springform pan. Allow to sit at room temperature 1 hour. Best to chill overnight and serve the next day.