Strawberries, Pepper, Balsamic & Basil
Strawberries are taken to a new level when paired with fresh black pepper!
Author: My Delicious Blog
Recipe type: Fruit
- 1 quart fresh strawberries (about 2 cups sliced)
- 1 Tb. granulated sugar (you could also use brown sugar or honey)
- 1 Tb. balsamic vinegar
- Several grinds fresh black pepper
- 4-6 basil leaves, thinly sliced (chiffonade)
- 1 c. whole milk ricotta
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 Tb. heavy cream
- Pinch kosher salt
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, rinse, pat dry and hull the berries then slice or cut into bite-sized pieces and place in a medium mixing bowl; cover and set aside.
- Prepare whipped ricotta by placing all ingredients into a mixer or blender and mixing on high until well combined and 'fluffy'. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- About 15 minutes before serving, add sugar to berries and stir. Allow to sit at room temperature about 10 minutes, then sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and mix to combine.
- Just before serving, mix in black pepper and basil and top with Whipped Ricotta.
You can also use part-skim ricotta -- the taste will still be delicious, but the texture will be slightly grainy.